Activities are converted to Must Start on when imported

This forum containts questions about RiskyProject project risk analysis and risk management software: features, issues, problem reports. If you have any problems or question, please submit it here.

Moderator: Intaver Support

Josh

Activities are converted to Must Start on when imported

Post by Josh » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:35 am

When I import my schedule using the Addin all of my activities are set to “Must Start On” in RiskyProject, even though they are “ASAP” in MSP? Is there a reason for this?

Intaver Support

Re: Activities are converted to Must Start on when imported

Post by Intaver Support » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:37 am

There are two reasons why activities will be set to Must start on when you import them into RiskyProject.

The first is when the projects are in progress and have been statused. In these tasks, their start time is fixed, so when they are imported into RiskyProject, they are read as “Must start on”. This is logical as there is now no uncertainty about when the activity will start.

The second case is when activities are manually scheduled. Manually scheduling allows you to drag activities either start date, finish date and durations regardless of the precedent relationships.. This is a very useful feature, but it relaxes the logic that allows the schedule to be updated manually. What that means is that if you have an activity with a FS link to a successor and you move the Finish Date back, this will not automatically update the successor. In practice, it fixes the activity parameters unless you update them manually in that they will not be pulled or pushed by predecessors. When you import the manually scheduled activities into RiskyProject, it interprets these activities as having hard “Must start on” constraints because they are unaffected by any changes to predecessors.

To fix this, once you have settled on your project schedule, set all of the activities Task Mode to Auto Scheduled.

Intaver Support Team
Intaver Institute Inc.
Home of Project Risk Management and Project Risk Analysis software RiskyProject
www.intaver.com