Low and high duration for summary tasks

This forum containts questions about RiskyProject project risk analysis and risk management software: features, issues, problem reports. If you have any problems or question, please submit it here.

Moderator: Intaver Support

Ken

Low and high duration for summary tasks

Post by Ken » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:58 pm

When I use the add in with MS project 2010 why does the program calculate low and high durations for subordinate tasks but does not for the summary task. I would be pleased if you could advise me where i am going wrong.
Ken the PM

Intaver Support

Re: Low and high duration for summary tasks

Post by Intaver Support » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:00 pm

In Microsoft Project, summary tasks are inert and all they do is provide a rollup of the underlying subordinate tasks. The same is true for our simulations; we can only use the subordinate values as inputs.

If we edited the low and high summary estimates, it would give the appearance that we are using the summary values for the simulation, which would be incorrect and could possibly create discrepancies between probabilistic results for the summary and subordinate tasks.
Therefore to ensure there is no misunderstanding, we do not modify the values for the summary activities for the Low and High Duration columns.

Intaver Support Team
Intaver Institute Inc.
Home of Project Risk Management and Project Risk Analysis software RiskyProject
www.intaver.com